With any new game, you need to know how to play before you attempt to play it. This is especially true when it comes to playing games for real money. Video poker is no exception. Although the game is easy once you get the hang of it, the basics are what will mean the difference between going home with a profit and leaving with no bankroll.
In the past, video poker was confined to land based casinos. However, in the past decade, the game has reached unprecedented popularity due to its accessibility and ease of play.
What Is Video Poker?
Video poker is basically a combination of 5 card poker and slots. If you know how poker works then you will have an edge in this game. Basic poker rules are easy to learn even if you have no idea right now.
How the Game Works
Like most casino games, you have to place a bet of at least one credit to start playing. You will then be dealt 5 cards in total. You are allowed to bet up to 5 credits in video poker and this is known as your max bet.
Once your cards are dealt, you then select which cards you wish to keep and which you want to discard. For example, if you retain three cards then you will be dealt two fresh cards. These 5 cards make up your final and hopefully winning hand.
Video Poker Hand Ranks
- Royal Flush A, K, Q, J & 10 of the same suit.
- Straight Flush Five cards in numerical sequence of the same suit.
- Four of a Kind Four cards of the same rank.
- Full House Three cards of the same rank and two cards of another matching rank.
- Flush Five cards of the same suit no sequence required.
- Straight Five cards in a ranked sequence.
- Three of a Kind Three cards of matching ranks.
- Two Pair Two cards of a matching rank and two cards of another matching rank.
- One Pair Two cards of matching rank.
- High Card Five cards that are not of the same suit, have no sequence relationship.
Should You Max Bet?
Max betting has its place, but keep in mind that you will go through your bankroll much faster this way. However, you can only win a progressive jackpot if you max bet. It all depends on your bankroll and your strategy.
A Winning Hand
A payout table is available so that you can see which hands pay out what amount. Each hand has a different rank and will therefore some will pay out more than others.
If you have a winning hand, the video poker machine will give you the option of doubling up. If you choose to do so then you will be asked to draw one card from five. If this card is higher than the dealers then your winning total will double. However, if you lose then you lose whatever it is that you have just won. You can continue with the double up option for as long as you wish.
The Attraction of the Game
Video poker combines poker with the simplicity of slots which is also a combination of strategy and fun. There are few other games which offer poker at such a fast speed and the game is therefore a huge draw card for online casinos.