by Renee Israel
The United Kingdom Gambling Commission released figures relating to the country's gambling industry this week.
The period to which the report related was October 2015 to September 2016.
The country generated a record £13.8 billion during this period, in comparison to the £13.4 billion generated during the April 2015 to March 2016 period.
Most impressive were numbers generated by the online gambling sector. For the second time in a row, this sector was the largest in the UK gambling industry.
Remote gaming and online betting services generated £4.5 billion during the time period - an increase from the £4.2 billion seen in the previous report.
Interesting UK Gambling Facts
- Just under 107,000 people are employed by the UK gambling industry (down 0.4%).
- There are now 8,788 betting shops in Great Britain.
- There are just under 900 bingo premises.
- Great Britain is home to 147 casinos.
- Remote betting, bingo and casinos make up 32% of the gambling market share.
- There are 176,410 gaming machines in the country.
- The National Lottery made £1.7 billion in contributions to Good Causes.
- Large society lotteries contributed £231.8 million to good causes.
48% of Britons Gamble
In a report published in March this year, it was found that 48% of participants in a UKGC survey had gambled in the past 4 weeks - an increase of 3% from the previous report.
According to the report, 17% of people that gambled did so online, and of those 97% played at home. Since 2015, the use of mobile devices for gambling purposes increased from 10% to 43%.
"This report paints an important picture of how consumers in Britain choose to gamble
- identifying emerging trends and potential risks to the public," noted UKGC's program director, James Green.
"We are also now able to provide a more detailed snapshot of online
behaviors, which featured for the first time last year. Effective protections
come from strong evidence. Our research puts us in a powerful position to better
understand the needs of gambling consumers."