Whilst the Academy Awards honour the best, The Razzies (Golden Raspberry Awards) recognize the worst in the film industry.
These ever popular Razzies (depending on who you ask) are awarded at a ceremony in Los Angeles just prior to the Oscars every year and has been for twenty eight years. It was founded by American copywriter and publicist John J.B. Wilson in 1981.
Wilson started the Razzies with a dinner ceremony at his house on the night of the Academy Awards. It was only after he put himself through the torture of watching a double feature consisting of Can't Stop the Music and Xanadu that he decided to formalise the awards. By the fourth year, CNN was covering the event.
The great thing about the Razzies is that anyone can vote, by joining the website, so the awards are influenced by journalists, film critics and the voting public.
The ceremony is typically held on the day before Academy Awards, and follows a similar format although it is quite obviously trying its best to be cheap and tacky. The trophy itself is worth $4.79 and comes in the form of a Raspberry mounted on an old 8mm film reel (all sprayed a very cheap looking gold).
Award categories include Worst Picture, Worst Actor, Worst Actress, Worst Supporting Actor and Actress, Worst Screen Couple, Worst Remake, Rip-off or Sequel, Worst Director, Worst Picture of the Decade, Worst Actor of the Decade and Worst Actress of the Decade.
Some interesting facts:
- Sandra Bullock became the first person to win both an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year
- Bill Cosby was the first to insist on a trophy when he was given three awards for "Leonard Part 6" in 1988
- Paul Verhoeven became the first person to accept the award in person for "Showgirls" in 1996
- Ben Affleck accepted his award on Larry King Live (he has had three nominations)
- Tom Green had to be dragged off the stage when he would not stop playing the harmonica after receiving one of his many awards for the utterly disastrous "Freddy Got Fingered"
- In 2008, "I Know Who Killed Me", set a new record when it won a total of 8 Razzies
Good news. You can bet on the crappest of the crap. A number of our bookmaker partners offer Razzies odds. Use our odds selector to the right of this page to pick a bookie and place your bet.